Permanent Residence Through Employment
In the United States, in order to become an immigrant and obtain permanent resident status based on permanent employment or to employ a noncitizen from a different country, there is a process to follow.
- Employers are to ensure that the foreigner is eligible for permanent residency according to the laws of USCIS.
- Employers must complete a labor certification request for the individual.
- Employers must receive approval for the individual for an immigrant visa.
- The applicant must obtain an immigrant visa number.
- The applicant must apply for permanent resident status.
It is important to note that obtaining employment-based permanent resident status is a timely process and consideration is often given to the type of work the applicant will be providing.